Progressive International

petra

On Friday 22 October 2021, the Progressive International will convene the first physical meeting of the Belmarsh Tribunal in London, placing the War on Terror on trial and demanding freedom for Julian Assange. I am proud to be a member of this important Tribunal, alongside Rafael Correa, Stefania Maurizi, Jeremy Corbyn, Selay Ghaffar and others.

Register to attend

The Tribunal takes inspiration from the Sartre-Russell Tribunal, of which I was also a member. In 1966, Bertrand Russell and Jean-Paul Sartre issued a call for a War Crimes Tribunal to try the United States for crimes against humanity in their conduct of the war in Vietnam. A number of us were sent to North Vietnam to observe and record the attacks on civilians. I spent six weeks under the bombs, an experience that shaped the rest of my life.
The tribunal convened in Stockholm in 1967. The jury members included Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Isaac Deutscher, Vladimir Dedijer, Mahmud Ali Kasuri, and David Dellinger, among others. The aim was not legal but moral: to bring the crimes to the notice of the public.

In London on 22 October 2021, we will do the same. Assange must be freed and the many crimes of the War on Terror placed centre stage.

The Tribunal's London sitting will be streamed live. I hope you will join us on this historic occasion.

Register to attend

• LIKE/LOVE 7