Original question posted by Jon on 10/13/08.   Michael recently spoke of our economy based on debt being replaced by one based on choice... what does an economy based on choice look like? What are the key differences?

I guess that the debt economy is based on the idea that "you owe me... because I did something for you". What is a choice economy based off of? Perhaps prioritization of resources?

Is the system the same, but with a different emphasis... or is the system markedly different?   FROM MICHAEL:

An economy generated by Choice would be one in which each individual finds that which he or she is best at contributing and then does so because it feels good to do, create, give that thing. This is then reciprocated by the joy others have found in discovering what they feel good about doing, creating, giving.

Access to all resources is based on personal need and not on hoarding. No one would tend to take more than is needed because the concept of competition has come to a close.

Competition is replaced with Contribution. Natural joy and fulfillment evolves from the emphasis on Giving, and not just on the Consuming. "Laziness" is no longer a concern, because it is comprehended that for one to Give or Contribute, it must come from Choice, not from obligation or expectation. This tends toward a community that sustains inspiration and enthusiasm, while honoring the fluctuating moods and choices of the individual.

There are no debts because when one cannot, or chooses not to, give or contribute, he is seen as simply making a choice that will then be replaced with another choice at another time.

This economy tends to begin with a leaning toward fields organized within contexts of NEED and WANT, with some amount of overlapping. For instance, foods, sanitation, water supplies, healing, teaching services may fall into the NEEDS contexts, while arts, entertainments, invention, spirituality may fall into the WANTS contexts. Of course, the overlapping occurs when one can see Art as a form of Healing, or Invention as a form of support for Sanitation, etc. The economy of Choice then tends to discover that everything is "needed," and that "want" is a concept of the past when it was assumed that Want was less important than Need. In the evolved economy of Choice, it is quickly discovered that it is rare that one Wants more than one Needs, and that this is a relative concern best left to the individual's choice.

While there would still be pros and cons to this kind of economy (such as structure and consistencies), the pros far outweigh the cons in terms of health, happiness, and peace.

Reply by Leela on October 24, 2008  On a practical level, how does a choice-based economy deal with money and concepts of trade and markets? I don't mean stock markets, I mean actual markets.

I ask because it's hard to imagine, in real terms, what this would look like, since humanity has lived with market economies for a very long time.
FROM MICHAEL: (in response to Leela's comment)

Trade would still exist, but would be a matter of choice and comprehension, not rationing. Exchanges would be direct, rather than through the use of a controlling, irrelevant medium such as currency. A choice-based economy is a resource-based economy that does not rely on money. This may be a bizarre concept, but it is natural and a part of most evolving cultures at some point. In other words, a choice-based/resource-based economy would ask, "do we have the resources to provide what we need and want?" rather than "do we have the money to provide what we need and want?" Relying on resource as the factor for access and sharing frees up a massive depth of resources inherent within humanity that have rarely been tapped.

We realize we are speaking in simplistic terms, and this is partially due to the fact that what we describe would require much greater elaboration if we are to share the details of such an overhauling paradigm, and partially due to the limitations of this channel (and students) for delivering and comprehending such a paradigm.

We have suggested for Troy to read the works that are being explored and implemented by those within the kingdom of the Magnetic King, Jacque Fresco, and we would suggest the same for our students. In many parallels and vectors, this fragment holds the greatest impact on what you would consider to be your "future" as a species.
    • THANK YOU!
    • LIKE/LOVE