DianeHB

Michael on Roles in the Workplace

Stickyflames

Haha i can place everyone I work with in one of these roles. I am usually always the " fun one" and notice I get away with basically anything simply due to a splash of humour in the midst of that constricted customer service beast.

• LIKE/LOVE 13
  • LOL 1

KurtisM

I'm "The Worker" but I can call upon my inner "Boss" and "Careful One" if need be.

Edited by KurtisM
  • LIKE/LOVE 9

AnnaD

This is great. I would also add the role Micromanager. They who tell you how to do your job even if they do not share the identity of the same professional role, they tell you how to do your job, overriding even your professional clinical manager. 

Micromanager: One who cannot delegate and enable you to do your job, (one who obstructs you from doing your job) even though you are competent, caring and efficient at it. One who is in a different professional role than yourself but tells you how "to do" your professional role. Because they've observed your role for years working alongside it, etc etc. 

aka Know it All, Sound Off, She who micromanages, Mrs Hypocracy, etc. Fun times. 

Yes I work with a Micromanager. Very closely. 

• LIKE/LOVE 8
  • WHAT/WOW! 1

AnnaD

I am the Careful One, and the Worker. 

The Micromanaging Saga I work with is also a Careful One, and reeks of mature soul drama shit magnetism, attracts drama, makes drama where there could be none, and alternates between knowing how everyone in the small town we live in is related, etc etc etc, alternates between being overinvolved, and micromanaging all her staff. She also comes across as being the Negative pole of Scholar... theory, and the Positive pole of Scholar... experience, over and over, and cannot distinguish between her own professional role boundaries, and those of another professional body, between allowing and enabling people to do their respective jobs, and getting right up in there and telling people how to do their respective jobs. She is frequently exhausted from failing to delegate effectively, micromanaging to distraction, general control freakness overridden with I know it all Scholar Theory Spew. I frequently fantasize about her early retirement. Sigh. 

• LIKE/LOVE 6

KurtisM

When I asked The Ms about Attitudes in socializing, they stated that Dogmatic Pragmatists and those who slide to it, are prone to micromanaging.

Dogma is all about sticking to and insisting uponeone procedure/method and resisting all other input. Therefore in socializing Dogma will keep on doing and talking as it always has. I can see the Boss and Careful one doing that.

• LIKE/LOVE 10

AnnaD
48 minutes ago, KurtisM said:

When I asked The Ms about Attitudes in socializing, they stated that Dogmatic Pragmatists and those who slide to it, are prone to micromanaging.

Dogma is all about sticking to and insisting uponeone procedure/method and resisting all other input. Therefore in socializing Dogma will keep on doing and talking as it always has. I can see the Boss and Careful one doing that.

Thank you Kurtis. I can see this Dogmatic Pragmatists doing the micromanaging. I hate being micromanaged and although I am a careful one, I really really try to not emulate my colleague who provokes murderous thoughts in me towards her on the regular! Probably the fact that she seems very Scholarly too in a very um close minded way is what kills me. The I know it all already and fucked if I am taking on board any slightly modifying perspective from you attitude is hell to work with. I am not the only one who feels this way about her. Maybe the most obnoxious combo is dogmatism, pragmatism, closemindedness, case closedness, her being clinical manager, her ongoing failure to take on board some Exalted King leadership instead she is so micromanagery ordinal. Ordinal. She needs to let people do their job and not be Condescension and Martyrdom combined and do peoples jobs for them. Ugh. this is all too topical for me. 

• LIKE/LOVE 8

AnnH

I am the "fun one." After I left waiting tables I ran into a guy I worked with who said to me, "You were a terrible waitress, but you were so much fun to work with you didn't get fired."

At my current job, I am most often the "fun one" who blurts out truths. (Hello, Sage!) However, with the exception of being "Boss" and "Worker" I've probably functioned as all of these types in the 25 years at my job.

Certainly I've been the Fragile One, the Investor, and the Eager One, too. What I am not is a micromanager by any stretch. Sometimes I think I should do a little more in that direction, but hell no.

Because of the hideous political crap that's happened at my workplace, I am aiming to be a Worker in my department because that seems to be all that is wanted. When it comes to my students, I'll fill whatever role is necessary for them to learn.

A funny note: As a result of being the "fun one" along with being a teacher with very high student evaluations (Old Sages tend to take to teaching), I have been able to request of enrollment staff that they not fill a new class I don't want to teach.. It will be enormous amounts of work on top of my regular work load because 4 of us out of 20 have had teaching load increases. I'll still have to teach an extra class, but I do. not. want to take on the whole new prep of this class. My department is busting my ass and I won't have it, if I can help it. The enrollment folks are backing my ass and not encouraging students to take this new class because I've backed their asses. Politics in motion. Sometimes being the "Fun One" who treats people well pays off.

And even if this class ends up filling, I'll know my buddies did their best for me. Plus, it's hilarious to undercut assholes.

Edited by AnnH
  • LIKE/LOVE 11

Nadine

At my current job I guess I'm definitely "The Boss", including being in the Negative Poles and being an Asshole sometimes, I fear.

At different jobs I fulfilled other positions, though.

• LIKE/LOVE 9

Troy

I've always been a mix of The Fun One and The Careful One when I used to work in corporate America. I can't work in an environment that has no joy, so I try to create it, but I can be really distracting, but I also can't stand working inefficiently and without proper resources, so I tend to take a stand and fight to improve the work environment. 

• LIKE/LOVE 11

Janet

I recognize positions for my co-workers but had a hard time pinning down which role I fill.

Throughout my career I have resisted any calls for work that consistently exceeds 40 hours a week. The occasional deadline with longer hours is perfectly okay but not a continuous string of 'deadlines'. This hurt my chances of advancement I'm sure, but advancement to what was always my question. I was considered the prime candidate to take over for my current boss when she leaves, but I'd hate that job -- nothing but meetings and stress and 60 hour weeks.

So from that point of view, I'm a WORKER. But the description of that role doesn't take into account my insistence on doing things right, and it has nothing to do with the 'well-being of the company', so I think I'm also a bit of a BOSS. 

• LIKE/LOVE 8

Juni

I work with someone who is a mix of the Careful one and the Eager one, and I've often speculated that they have a CF of Martyrdom for their tendency to take on too much work and then whine about how much they have to do, in a humble/brag sort of way. I'm usually the Worker but sometimes the Fragile one.

• LIKE/LOVE 8

ckaricai

I've been a combination of the careful one, the investor,  the worker, and the boss. I do have natural leadership abilities so the boss will tend to come out if I see it's necessary.  I'm definitely not a micromanager tho. I can't stand that style of management and I will rebel against it if I end up with that kind of boss. 

• LIKE/LOVE 8

DianeHB

I'm a combination of the Worker and the Boss. When I didn't used to be in a position of responsibility I defaulted to the Worker, and as I took on greater responsibilities I became more of a Boss. The concept of certain subpersonalities coming forward within the workplace makes a lot of sense to me. How I am at work is fairly different from how I am at home because of the context.

• LIKE/LOVE 8

Nadine
11 hours ago, DianeHB said:

I'm a combination of the Worker and the Boss. When I didn't used to be in a position of responsibility I defaulted to the Worker, and as I took on greater responsibilities I became more of a Boss. The concept of certain subpersonalities coming forward within the workplace makes a lot of sense to me. How I am at work is fairly different from how I am at home because of the context.

So true! I guess I was the Worker at most of my previous jobs. It changed when I found myself handed more responsability - and it certainly has nothing to do with how I act when I'm out of the work context. That's a whole other thing. 

When entering a work place, the position you will fulfil will probably depend on which roles are already taken by other co-workers and what is "needed". I guess a work space needs all of these roles fulfilled somehow, so we can't all be the Fun Ones ;)

• LIKE/LOVE 7

PPLD
On 7 July 2016 at 11:50 PM, KurtisM said:

I'm "The Worker" but I can call upon my inner "Boss" and "Careful One" if need be.

Interesting Kurtis, because I am exactly this combination.

The Boss is definitely the dominant role since leadership comes natural to me, despite the factual position. Then this role is approached with the mind of the Careful One e.g. in evaluation of strategies, goals, co-workers, team dynamics etc. The work process is then executed as The Worker.

Very interesting session. Thank you for posting @DianeHB!

• LIKE/LOVE 8

ViP

behaviors in the workplace may reflect more of the sub-personalities that must come forth in order to be in that closed system.

This is really helpful information. Thanks Diane.

At the moment I think I find myself being the fun one when around the rest of my team (while being distracting a fair share of the time, I'm sure), investor (when alone at my desk), and also a bit of boss, much to my own surprise, as I've never thought of myself as a leader, at all. The boss part is the most interesting one actually, because as I write this I can picture myself mentally sliding between guide and asshole, while outwardly trying to stay fun. It must come out confusing at times. The whole guide vs asshole thing is really about how I'm feeling inside, with little to do with what anyone else is actually doing.

It's nice to put a name to the healer part of being fun too, every couple of weeks when we get together to review what we've done, I feel like I do that. It's also quite interesting for me to think back about how I think I have gone from being fragile, careful and eager when I had just started to being more on the latter half of the list. I don't think I'd ever been the "worker", though - I never left work without taking it along with me in my head.

• LIKE/LOVE 6

KurtisM

I've been thinking of this more now.
I still easily fit "The Worker" type. That's what I do- enter a job/project, do it, finish it with reliability, and get graded or move on to the next project. Though I do think sometimes it does create a circuit of rigidity, stubbornness and invisibility if I feel like I'm being of no help or no one cares for what I have to offer.

Then there's the definite times where everyone else was procrastinating on a project, so I had to take control into my own hands and be a bit more like "The Boss"- dictating. But it felt very uncomfortable and vulnerable.
When I'm comfortable enough I have noticed I like to help out, assessing and giving feedback+ideas as "The Careful One" would.

Recently I've also noticed I might have some of "The Fragile One" in me too. If I didn't know what to do in the workplace, I'd start to panic for sure. But If I did, then my other strengths could come through more. I'm a very focused worker.
---

My mom is mostly "The Eager One", and my dad is mostly "The Worker". I think.

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Evelin

I see a bit of a progression here.
I recall when I started at a new job I was first the Fragile one, then the Careful one, completely skipped Eager, then for a long time did the Worker, sort-of-the-Fun one to stay sane in that job (customer service over the phone), skipped the Investor, and then became the Boss, as the actual job description, but mostly was a Worker kind of Boss. Quit when the job started to come home with me.

My best friends there were the Eager one whom I tried to keep in healthier lines for both her sake and the customers' sake; the Fun one who amazed me by managing to do his job while being completely care-free and unattached the whole time; and the massively intelligent Fun Investor who was the most sarcastic person offline but in a split second became the perfect respectable representative of the company on the phone.

Cool how everyone got the job done nevertheless, each in their own style.

Edited by Evelin
  • LIKE/LOVE 5

Luciana Flora
On 07/07/2016 at 3:38 PM, DianeHB said:

MEntity: THE FUN ONE - this is the person who may or may not get the job done or done well, but who tends to receive a great deal of leniency because he is key to keeping up morale, levity, and spirits. However, he can also become easily distracted with this position of keeping others happy and either find himself as a counselor, performer, comforter, or just an obnoxious distraction that makes it difficult for others to focus. He may be first to come forth "on behalf" of others if there are problems. If his tactics are sound, he makes a great Human Resources counselor.

MEntity: POSITIVE POLE - HEALER / NEGATIVE POLE - DISTRACTION

I found this very cool. I've noticed that I really love everything that can help me understand myself better and better understand the people around me. I think this can help me merel better with people ..

When I read about The Fun One I immediately remembered two people. One is my father. I have no idea how my father is at work. But at home he has always made things lighter. Especially at that time that my relationship with my mother was very complicated and people discussed practically everyday. He always dealt with it in a good mood .. that made everything lighter.

The other person I remembered while reading the Mauricio (a collega of my work). I think he does a good job, and I do not think he's that crazy. Maybe he's on the positive pole. But he is also known for his good humor. And he likes to make people laugh. In fact, there is not a day that I work with him that I do not laugh at something he says

As for me it seems that I am having difficulty perceiving myself as I am. Whether it is my priority, my spiritual garden or how I am at work, nothing seems obvious to me.

I think I could be THE FRAGILE ONE, THE WORKER, THE EAGER ONE

Unfortunately THE FRAGILE ONE is among the possibilities. I say unfortunately because although Michael says it is not weakness .. I seem to be allergic to the word fragil. I'm really tired of seeing myself this way .. and to me it seems like a weakness. I can not see what the advantage would be.

• LIKE/LOVE 5