AnnH

Virtual Living and Pokemon Go

AnnH

I am intrigued by Pokemon Go! and how it's combining both virtual reality (the game) and also getting out in the world. Of course, reports are about finding bodies and thieves finding players and robbing them. But the more positive and long-lasting effect is how people are going out of their houses, walking around, meeting up with people they might have never met in another context.

Michael has talked about the new Virtual Generation and many students have asked about this. Could Pokemon Go be the beginning of the shift to virtual experience in a new way?

• LIKE/LOVE 10

Stickyflames

Oh gosh it excites me too! I would probably not play it myself but whenever i run into someone who has it , I BEG to see it. The concept titilates me . I am such a fan of the uniting powers and potentials of technology. So Often Inhear the humdrum argument that it is dividing us, even though all evidence points in the other direction.

• LIKE/LOVE 5

Troy

I begin playing in 3, 2, 1...

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Janet

Pokemon of all things? Couldn't it be a more interesting game? My girls grew up with it, and I've never understood the attraction. But one daughter (and son-in-law) are already immersed in Pokemon Go and the other is resisting because between work and finishing her masters she can't afford a new addiction. (They are both Millennials, by the way.)

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Stickyflames

Janet I really do not see how you don't find the appeal of walking around, snatching animals from their natural habitats and forcing them to fight one another all in your quest to be the BEST.

pokemon is so not vegan.

there was something always fun about it for me. I was addicted as a youth. It must have been one of the first games that really incorporated a larger community of other players into the mix and pokemon Go just emphasizes the evolution of that idea. Everyone played it completely differently. Some just wanted to be the best. Some loved the strategy. Some, like myself, loved to gather a small group of pokemon and nurture them with all my love and pretend we were best friends. You could really tell somebodies centering by how they played pokemon.

• LIKE/LOVE 5

Tyrone
On 7/11/2016 at 0:22 PM, Stickyflames said:

there was something always fun about it for me. I was addicted as a youth. It must have been one of the first games that really incorporated a larger community of other players into the mix and pokemon Go just emphasizes the evolution of that idea. Everyone played it completely differently. Some just wanted to be the best. Some loved the strategy. Some, like myself, loved to gather a small group of pokemon and nurture them with all my love and pretend we were best friends. You could really tell somebodies centering by how they played pokemon.

I'll bet Nuzlocke Challenges are full of emotional types :-P

You ever read the comics people make?  Talk about seeing the emotional side of Pokemon...

(What IS Nuzlocke?)

• LIKE/LOVE 1

H2nna

Poor dogs must be so confused why they suddenly have to take 10 walks a day. ?

I can see 3-10 players from my window pretty much all the time, it's like zombie army. One of the unexpected manifestations of moving center year.

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Troy

I have to update my response... I was going to jump in on the hype because I love gaming and I don't discriminate against entry-level casual gaming that has no real challenge (if it's fun, it's fun!), but seeing people so obsessed has turned me off completely. I'm so fickle. I don't mind all of the hype, but once it tips over into mindless bandwagon obsession, I get so turned off. <<arrogance)) 

• LIKE/LOVE 3

KurtisM

I know some people who are talking about how it brainwashes kids and teens and young adults.
Most of these are early Generation X and a lot of Baby Boomers.

The thing is, these very same people have been "brainwashed" all their lives into thinking what is, is all there is, and there's no changes that could happen to make life better on their terms so they "sit on the sidelines" nagging with denigrating voices because of the collective pull down feeling Stubbornness brings.
Until you're involved in any movement, you're operating from subjective theories and presumptions.

Of course there's going to be those who play into new movements in ways that form unhealthy addictions and obssessions. It's happened with every new technology that's abounded.
However that's not all that technology is. Technology has the power to transform how everybody relates to themselves, the world and each other. It's the discussions about it as an experience that bring change, transformation and improvement, and it's the lack of experience in discussion that brings resistance and conflict. It's all about our ATTITUDEs.

I have no doubt Pokemon Go is one of the kickstarters of the Virtual Generation that will begin our old cycle of generations around 2025, and contribute to this whole tipping point that supposedly will spill out in 2020. Or at least, it's the version of a kickstarter our group of parallels is choosing to create.

Edited by KurtisM
  • LIKE/LOVE 3

Tyrone
On 7/22/2016 at 6:12 AM, Troy said:

I don't mind all of the hype, but once it tips over into mindless bandwagon obsession, I get so turned off.

On 7/11/2016 at 11:20 AM, Janet said:

Pokemon of all things? Couldn't it be a more interesting game? My girls grew up with it, and I've never understood the attraction. But one daughter (and son-in-law) are already immersed in Pokemon Go and the other is resisting because between work and finishing her masters she can't afford a new addiction. (They are both Millennials, by the way.)

I'm not so sure I'd characterize it as mindless bandwagon-type obsession that a lot of people have.  Remember, Pokemon is a huge childhood nostalgia trip for virtually any one who was a child growing up in the mid to late 90s to early 2000s.  Many of us "grew up" and put away (not myself, actually, I'm still into Pokemon, but that's a geek attribute) childhood games like Pokemon, only to suddenly get hit with an easy, simple-to-play cell phone game featuring competition, beloved throwback characters, and a budding gaming concept many had only imagined what it'd be like years ago.  And the franchise's canon games and TV shows are STILL going on, pumping out new material for current children.  The young adults are addicted to this game due to the addiction programming of their childhood experiences with the franchise.  You could say millennials didn't jump on Pokemon Go because it's become popular, Pokemon Go is popular because millennials jumped on it right away. 

( If you ever read about the myriad of server issues, battery life problems, and Ingris-clone gameplay, you can see a testament to the sheer drawing power of the brand itself over inconvenient buggy play.  That and it currently features only the very first generation of Pokemon that came out?  It's pulling on pure sentimentality! )

Overall, I think Pokemon GO is showing symptoms of something recently born into the negative pole, like social media such as MySpace and Facebook had been only a decade ago. 

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Troy

@Tyrone well I was being snotty and not too serious, but I was talking about those who've never even heard of Pokemon before or thought it was a new thing altogether. I'm only kind of serious when I say that this kind of hyped bandwagon obsession always makes me cringe. It's kind of like how hip hop got taken over by gyrating white frat boys and white sorority girls taking duck lip selfies at bridal showers. lol

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Tyrone
On 7/23/2016 at 8:23 PM, Troy said:

I'm only kind of serious when I say that this kind of hyped bandwagon obsession always makes me cringe. It's kind of like how hip hop got taken over by gyrating white frat boys and white sorority girls taking duck lip selfies at bridal showers. lol

ugh, like the twerking, too...  @_@

Crystal

I'm intrigued by Pokemon Go, but I need another time suck like I need a hole in the head, so I'm going to pass this time around. Maybe if it was a spinoff of Neko Atsume I'd be out catching cats!

Javier Ayvar

it's curious!  the first  social network for gamers games were released 20 Years ago, fans have dreamed of going out into the world and catching the unique and powerful monsters for themselves   ;

Edited by Javier Ayvar
  • LIKE/LOVE 1