20160716 MMW: The Health Of Your Emotional Center

KurtisM

I think both the Emotions and Intellect rely upon symbols. Just in different ways.

The Emotional Center processes life in terms of what it just "knows" it likes, dislikes, hates and loves. But you can only know you like something, if there is an event/object to like.
Once you like that event/object, it becomes a symbol, so that every time you see/experience that event/object you know you like it, because you did in the past; that's what you know and trust and anticipate and feel joy or surprise from.
But that object/event exists as its own thing too. When it mixes with new events/objects(experiences) that you've attributed different feelings too, such as anger or disgust or sadness, it creates conflict because that's not what you trust that object/event to mean/symbolize. Thus comes Rejection of those conflicting feelings.

That's Sentimentality. That's the attachment you attribute to everything that leaves objects/events meaning only one or two things.
Perception is being able to look past those attached feelings(sentiments) so that you can allow for all the feelings and meanings one thing may have to you. But Perception knows that those feelings are momentary, and they may, can and will change. 
It's like the difference between being attached to who and what you were in the past and undermining the present with those sentiments. vs. Feeling nostalgic about who/what you were in the past, and bringing those feelings you had in the past into the present and letting them take on new forms due to context and experience.

---
Whereas the Emotions are fluid, non-linear and symbolic; the Intellect is fixed, linear and literal.
The Intellect processes the Emotion's symbols by organizing and analyzing them. This is why the Intellectual Center processes experiences in terms of how they're expressed, formed, logical, make sense and bring insight.
Because you feel the subjective truth of your attachments, the intellect reasons that this is the linear, logical truth as well, and this is how our logic can become fixed to equations of what everything means.
"If this person did this, then my emotions tell me that's bad, I don't like that, and that's true. That person is someone that I don't want to be around. Logically then, every action like that or close to that must mean that person is doing yet another bad thing that hurts me."

Symbols to the Intellect require equations. Symbols to the Emotions just require feelings to be felt.

I dunno if that helps anyone, but the two centers are interrelated. Especially because we overlook the Moving Center so much.

• LIKE/LOVE 4
ckaricai
On 7/22/2016 at 7:20 AM, Troy said:

LOL @ckaricai Michael never said anything about "don't worry, be happy." Where did you get that idea? That never even occurred to me. But it's actually not a bad concept, however trite it might seem. Truths are usually that clear and simple.

And why would the idea that we interpret everything around us subjectively be such a radical idea that is "too much"? I'm just curious to understand where you were coming from there.

The irony is that Michael was pointing to the fact that "happy" doesn't always mean what we have attached to what it means to be "happy." They were pointing to the fact that we get attached to certain ideas (symbols) of what it means to be happy or what conditions have to be in place to be happy, but being happy can be included in and include even the worst of situations because "being happy" is bigger than our feelings. Being happy includes using our understanding, using our trust, using our perceptions, and being responsible for expanding or being more flexible in our interpretations/meaning of symbols. They were speaking to our getting past our attachments to what it means to "be happy," and they did say that choosing trust is more useful than worrying (which they describe as one of the most useless states), but that was to help expand our range of choice, not to just command that we "don't worry/be happy." 

Also, I'm glad you understood what Nicholas had to say. It was pretty much what everyone else was saying, but sometimes the timing or the wording finally gets through.

I want to say that if I sound a bit defensive, please forgive my tone. I'm probably being a bit defensive after reading your comments. I just feel I now have to make it clear (based on your responses) that my reaching out to help wasn't to push anything onto you or defend Michael (or myself). You asked for help in understanding so I reached out, as did several others. To say "I'm way ahead of you. Kinda over it," makes me concerned that you felt pressure to accept something you had already decided against or that we were wasting your time and our time. If you express confusion or questioning in the future, should we respond or should we leave it alone? I love these kinds of discussions and I live for them, so I take the questions seriously, but if they are rhetorical, I'd rather know that so I don't overstep.

@Troy My questions weren't rhetorical. I genuinely had difficulty understanding this channeling. I think the main problem are the words "prejudices" and "symbols." In my mind those are very specific things. I only ever use the word prejudice in regards to racism, not other things. And in my mind symbols are pictures or animals or some sort of visual representation, not whole concepts. It never occurred to me that a contained idea that doesn't have a visual representation could be a symbol for another idea that also doesn't have a visual representation. So it just wasn't clicking. Nicholas explained it without using the word prejudice. Then it clicked. I think if they had used the word "representations" or "ideations" it would have clicked faster for me. They were also talking about trust but not saying what is the thing that is being trusted. That just seemed really vague to me. I was just frustrated with the whole thing. 

I read these sentences " The cumulative effects of the health of the Emotional Center can be seen overall in how Happy one is."

"There are many who suffer and will tell you that they are Happy. This is not because they concede to or deny suffering, but because Happiness is HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES.

Your experiences do not determine your Happiness. You do." 

as so, to have a healthy emotional center even when you are suffering one needs to be happy. That's not really helpful advice when you are suffering. 

The idea that everything around us is subjective is not a radical idea. It's the bit about trying to asses how you feel about EVERYTHING seems overwhelming to me. It means you need to really sit and examine why you feel the way you feel about everything. I had an image in my head of sitting down and trying to figure it all out in one shot. I realized later, this is something I already do when something happens and it makes me think (I think having realist as an attitude helps with that.) about how I'm reacting to what's happening and whether or not there is another way to think about it. 

So yes, if I'm asking a question even out of frustration I'm asking a serious question. 

Edited by ckaricai
  • LIKE/LOVE 5
  • HOST & RESIDENT CHANNEL
Troy

Thanks for the clarification, @ckaricai. It's kind of cool to discover where we have our own prejudices and symbols that block us from understanding something bigger or different from what we've come to be attached. I'll treat your questions as usual, then, and hope I don't ever just come across as annoying or badgering. I love these conversations.

PREJUDICE - Yeah, Michael tends to use words that transcend colloquialism because I think they see words as having more meaning than our local, temporary, subjective experiences, so it can sometimes be confusing. (I mean, Server was once Slave because Michael used it on its own terms as "one who is completely subservient to a dominating influence." But that didn't fly for very long. lol) So Michael uses prejudice on its own terms, and not as equating racism, so they don't use these interchangeably. Prejudices can lead to racism, and racism is full of prejudices, but we have many many many prejudices that don't have anything to do with race. For example, you see a hot guy and then he starts smoking, ewww. Or someone says she loves watching Honey Boo Boo.  Eww... Prejudice is when we prejudge based on our personal experiences or lack of experiences. 

JUST BE HAPPY - You said, "to have a healthy emotional center even when you are suffering one needs to be happy. That's not really helpful advice when you are suffering."  I agree, and I'm glad they didn't say that because that would be dumb. They were just reminding us that suffering and happiness are not mutually-exclusive and that access to happiness only dependent upon our conditions and symbols. They were saying that you have a natural and inherent permission to look to anything in yourself or in your life that brings you pleasure, even if you are suffering. That's because "happy" is connected to our Emotional/Higher Emotional Centers and is connected to Inspiration. If we find or create that energy, it can make a difference. They didn't say it would be easy, or that it would make the suffering stop, but finding or creating that moment can help us to get through to the next, and the next, and that might help us get to that moment where we *can* relieve the suffering. Happy is defined as "showing or causing feelings of pleasure and enjoyment," and "pleased or glad about a particular situation, event, etc."  In the worst stories of suffering there are amazing stories of strength and power and change because someone found that access to energy that got them through. So if you use this same concept for our daily lives, it is even more powerful. So when Michael says that our happiness is a symptom of the health of our Emotional Center, they aren't talking about perma-grin smiles and faking joy, they are talking about our actively nurturing inspiration from anywhere and in any way we can.

SYMBOLS - you nailed it. It's *not* about sitting down and figuring out your entire spectrum of symbols, but just acknowledging that we do use a spectrum of symbols. Sometimes we are attached and that can be problematic. Sometimes they make sense and work and are excellent for helping navigate life. When something comes to our attention and it "means" something to us, it's healthy to then take a closer look to see if we are too attached and not willing to expand, update, or include other versions.

A beautiful and painful example of this for me is that our bodies are symbols of us, but that we supposedly exist as consciousness independent of these bodies. When someone dies, I miss them. I was attached to them as a body. But I am open to the idea that they continue to exist independent of the body. Michael points out how important symbols are and how they deeply matter, but they remind us to be broader in our perspective so that we don't lose meaning when the symbol is lost. 

Speaking of missing a symbol... I'd love to hang out again soon!

• LIKE/LOVE 11
ckaricai

@Troy I think "inspiration" is another word I have trouble with in the context of these chanellings. So I'm going to start looking up the dictionary definition and word origin of the words I have trouble with. I guess "inspiration" to me is usually a symbol for an artistic muse, so trying to think about it in other maybe more generalized ways has been challenging. 

I had also for the past few months wondering about why people who suffer en mass like slaves didn't just kill themselves en masse. That really was bothering me and after I began to comprehend this session I started thinking about it...what the slaveholders would do to prevent suicides and what the reaction would be to that and on and on. I guess what you are left with is how to endure it. This session kind of answered that question for me but the answer just frustrated me because it seemed like a non answer, but I get it now. What else could you do but endure and finding pleasure or happiness in the little things makes sense. 

Your example about bodies is a really good illustration. And I agree. A hangout would be great. :)

Edited by ckaricai
  • LIKE/LOVE 6
  • HOST & RESIDENT CHANNEL
Troy

@ckaricai because I've been working with Michael for so long, I can forget how differently they use words outside of colloquial meaning. It hadn't occurred to me to consider that. Thanks for reminding me. It's a fascinating thing to explore.

I mean "Cynic?" Sure it's a word that's existed as a name of a philosophical perspective for ages, but we don't use it to mean something positive. I love that I understand what Cynic means in a broader sense now. Goal of Discrimination? Seriously? LOL But it's a real word with real meaning that goes way beyond our use of it. The whole thing fascinates me.

Michael uses "inspiration" as a term to describe how we see our potential reflected around us. Inspiration doesn't *come* from other sources. It's only reflected back at us as a way to help surface our potential in ourselves and bring it within reach for us to use if we want to. What I love about this is that it isn't just about the end results of inspiration, but about how that whole dynamic works.

You might be happy to know we are working on building and publishing a Glossary soon that you can use for looking up specific words so that if there is ever that obstacle, you can look something up and go... ohhhhh... okay. I get it now. lol

• LIKE/LOVE 14
ckaricai
11 minutes ago, Troy said:

@ckaricai because I've been working with Michael for so long, I can forget how differently they use words outside of colloquial meaning. It hadn't occurred to me to consider that. Thanks for reminding me. It's a fascinating thing to explore.

I mean "Cynic?" Sure it's a word that's existed as a name of a philosophical perspective for ages, but we don't use it to mean something positive. I love that I understand what Cynic means in a broader sense now. Goal of Discrimination? Seriously? LOL But it's a real word with real meaning that goes way beyond our use of it. The whole thing fascinates me.

Michael uses "inspiration" as a term to describe how we see our potential reflected around us. Inspiration doesn't come from other sources. It's only reflected back at us as way to help surface it and bring it within reach for us to use if we want to. What I love about this is that it isn't just about the end results of inspiration, but about how that whole dynamic works.

You might be happy to know we are working on building and publishing a Glossary soon that you can use for looking up specific words so that if there is ever that obstacle, you can look something up and go... ohhhhh... okay. I get it now. lol

You can add Priest to that list. It's another word that means a very specific thing to me and I realized a while ago that's why I have trouble with this as a michael concept. I didn't grow up in a formal church so I don't really know all what priests do or what this means to people who do know. It's like if an alien came up to me and said Doozledorp and expected me to understand. Nope. 

A glossary would be AMAZING. I really think including the origin of the word would help understand the meaning. etymonline.com is my go to site for looking up word origins. 

Inspiration

inspiration (n.) Look up inspiration at Dictionary.com
c. 1300, "immediate influence of God or a god," especially that under which the holy books were written, from Old French inspiracion "inhaling, breathing in; inspiration" (13c.), from Late Latin inspirationem (nominative inspiratio), noun of action from past participle stem of Latin inspirare "blow into, breathe upon," figuratively "inspire, excite, inflame," from in- "in" (see in- (2)) + spirare "to breathe" (see spirit (n.)).
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. [Gen. ii.7]
The sense evolution seems to be from "breathe into" to "infuse animation or influence," thus "affect, rouse, guide or control," especially by divine influence. Inspire (v.) in Middle English also was used to mean "breath or put life or spirit into the human body; impart reason to a human soul." Literal sense "act of inhaling" attested in English from 1560s. Meaning "one who inspires others" is attested by 1867.

So given this definition about the ultimate sense of the word being to breathe, I totally see what you are saying about inspiration coming from within and that had NEVER occurred to me. I assumed it was something that came from somewhere else and we just channel it. 

So if you need help with a glossary I'm available to help with that. 

Edited by ckaricai
  • LIKE/LOVE 8
  • PRIEST
Maureen

Cary, one big hint that Michael gives us, to help with MT's terminology, is the axes (Action, Inspiration, Expression and Assimilation) that are used throughout the teachings and the words they use to describe the positive and negative poles. For example, Priest is on the Inspiration axis and the positive pole is Compassion and the negative pole is Zeal. You can drill down into all the words Michael uses and you'll see they have chosen their words very carefully. They have tried to capture the meaning behind the symbol of the word itself so it is helpful to expand one's idea of what you think the word is and begin to see what they mean at a more organic or energetic level. 

Also, at some point within the teachings, you do start to see the bigger picture and the math jumps out at you and what you understand in one area of the teachings (or life) you can start to apply to another area. I don't want to complicate it too much but there are discernible patterns that are beautiful once you see them. Understanding the meaning of the words is one of those patterns.

It looks to me like you are doing a really good job of pushing this through until you understand it. You are exercising your "learning how to choose and choosing how to learn". I want to say keep up the "Good Work" -- so I will.  That is the whole point of all of this, isn't it?  Love to you  :love:

Edited by Maureen
  • LIKE/LOVE 9

Cary, I understand it in a very simple way. Michael gave examples:

If someone does not smile back at you when you smile, this may be symbolic of rudeness, specific rejection of you, a pointed attempt to undermine your good day, etc. 

If you are attached to that symbolism, a lack of returned smile can ruin your day. 

^ I think most people can find an example along these lines in their own experience. A loved one may say something or not say something or do or not do something, and your emotional centre might say "That means he does not love me anymore" (one example out of endless possible ones).

Edited by Jana
typo
  • LIKE/LOVE 7
ckaricai
25 minutes ago, Jana said:

Cary, I understand it in a very simple way. Michael gave examples:

^ I think most people can find an example along these lines in their own experience. A loved one may say something or not say something or do or not do something, and your emotional centre might say "That means he does not love me anymore" (one example our of endless possible ones).

That example wasn't helpful to me because smiling or not smiling isn't a symbol for me. There are a million reasons why people do or do not smile that have nothing to do with me. 

• LIKE/LOVE 5
ckaricai
1 hour ago, Maureen said:

Cary, one big hint that Michael gives us, to help with MT's terminology, is the axes (Action, Inspiration, Expression and Assimilation) that are used throughout the teachings and the words they use to describe the positive and negative poles. For example, Priest is on the Inspiration axis and the positive pole is Compassion and the negative pole is Zeal. You can drill down into all the words Michael uses and you'll see they have chosen their words very carefully. They have tried to capture the meaning behind the symbol of the word itself so it is helpful to expand one's idea of what you think the word is and begin to see what they mean at a more organic or energetic level. 

Also, at some point within the teachings, you do start to see the bigger picture and the math jumps out at you and what you understand in one area of the teachings (or life) you can start to apply to another area. I don't want to complicate it too much but there are discernible patterns that are beautiful once you see them. Understanding the meaning of the words is one of those patterns.

It looks to me like you are doing a really good job of pushing this through until you understand it. You are exercising your "learning how to choose and choosing how to learn". I want to say keep up the "Good Work" -- so I will.  That is the whole point of all of this, isn't it?  Love to you  :love:

Thanks. :happy:

I'm just now starting to think about those axises...axees...whatever the plural of axis is as part of the bigger picture. It just doesn't always occur to me to think about it. I have noticed there is always a positive and negative pole for most concepts or that information is presented in chunks of threes, sevens, nines, and twelves and that those numbers have a particular energy behind it. The words they choose for positive and negative poles of things doesn't always click with me tho and doesn't help me understand. Sometimes I find the words to be meaningless even tho I know they have been chosen carefully and I struggle to understand what they mean. It only just today occurred to me to look up the dictionary definitions. I'm also currently listening to a podcast about the history of the english language so word origins and meanings have been on my mind lately. 

Compassion seems like an odd thing to ascribe to a role. It makes it seem like the other roles have to work harder to have compassion or that they lack compassion which I'm sure isn't the case. So what is it about compassion that makes it specific to inspiration and not some other axis and how does sliding to the complimentary axis fit in there? These are the things that I've been thinking about in trying to understand priest and inspiration. I guess there are shades of meaning that are difficult to convey with words. 

• LIKE/LOVE 7
Kasia
9 hours ago, Troy said:

Michael uses "inspiration" as a term to describe how we see our potential reflected around us. Inspiration doesn't *come* from other sources. It's only reflected back at us as a way to help surface our potential in ourselves and bring it within reach for us to use if we want to.

Thanks @ckaricai for asking about Inspiration so we could get this gem of an explanation from Troy. It's brilliant! I understood the concept of Inspiration, but didn't truly comprehend it until now.

• LIKE/LOVE 8
  • 4 weeks later...

I was reminded of this post again today when I was reading about a woman in a FB group who decided because someone she was dating hurt her feelings, she probably couldn't live with him, ever. I don't think he even knew she was upset, but she was making major decisions based on her interpretation of his actions, which weren't even really about her, but about his kids.  It's amazing how much of our own misery we create by not knowing we do this. I remember doing this when younger and much more infrequently, even now until I realize it doesn't necessarily follow that x means y in this case.

• LIKE/LOVE 4
  • 10 months later...