Guest Matt

23andme health report

Guest Matt

I just wanted to tell you guys about the 23andme report which gives so much valuable health info. Its a genetic test done with your saliva, and they not only give you lots of info on your ancestral origins, but the raw genetic data they give is a huge help. Its especially good if your dealing with illness nobody can find answers to. It deals with methylation, and detox genetic snp's. All you get back from 23andme is the raw data which looks like a foreign language, but i know how to decipher it into easy to read results, which i would gladly do for anyone interested. Ive done one for myself, my wife, and son, and it has been one of the best labs ive done. It basically points you to some of your genetic weaknesses that could be behind some health issues. Its $199. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see my report for an example.

https://www.23andme.com/

Edited by Matt

Stickyflames

Scott got my this for my birthday last year and all i got out of it was that my earwax was genetically wet and that I may or may not be a red head...i validated both quickly.

what else can this thing do. I will take a second look at the results some day but yes, it is rather alien.

• LIKE/LOVE 4

Bobby

From another genetic test, I have a known genetic variant that makes methylation of B Vitamins difficult.  Right now, I'm having to take a more expensive version of B vitamin that gives me a boost towards that methylation problem.  Before, I never would have know I had a "meth" problem :)

• LIKE/LOVE 8

Guest Matt

Stickyflames, It can do much more. Go to http://geneticgenie.org/. Click on methylation analysis, and also click on detox profile. Save those, send them to me and i could give you a quick rundown of any possible issues, or if you wanted me to get the reports for you. I would need your 23andme sign in and password, you could then change the password after i was done

Edited by Matt

Cong
1 hour ago, Matt said:

I just wanted to tell you guys about the 23andme report which gives so much valuable health info. Its a genetic test done with your saliva, and they not only give you lots of info on your ancestral origins, but the raw genetic data they give is a huge help. Its especially good if your dealing with illness nobody can find answers to. It deals with methylation, and detox genetic snp's. All you get back from 23andme is the raw data which looks like a foreign language, but i know how to decipher it into easy to read results, which i would gladly do for anyone interested. Ive done one for myself, my wife, and son, and it has been one of the best labs ive done. It basically points you to some of your genetic weaknesses that could be behind some health issues. Its $199. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see my report for an example.

https://www.23andme.com/

I fed my 23andme raw data into this database: https://www.promethease.com. It was the best/most detailed report I've seen when I did it two years ago.

• LIKE/LOVE 3

Stickyflames

Oooh coooool, im type AB blood. Just like....marilyn munroe. I have always wanted to know my bloodtype. It is interesting reading the recomended diet and exercise routine for type AB blood is something I naturally do. I usually ignore others guidance of arduous intense exercise regimes ( i have intense friends) and opt for simple running and yoga. Also good to know why maybe my stomach is such a sensitive little fluff ball , because it has weak digestive enzymes. AB is also highly emotional and passionate and etc etc. Overleaves in my dna baby. Thanks for this, y'all

• LIKE/LOVE 5

Guest Matt
7 hours ago, Cong said:

I fed my 23andme raw data into this database: https://www.promethease.com. It was the best/most detailed report I've seen when I did it two years ago.

Yes, thats a good one, i did the promethease report for my data also, but just went with genetic genie for the rest of my family. Promethease cost money and genetic genie is free. Also i find the most relevant snp's are listed on the genie reports. I found the promethease report scary, to much info i dont want to know, like having higher risk for this cancer or that disease. It was just to much for me. I like to focus on the methylation and detox snps on genie since those seem to be the most important ones for current health, plus you get a color coded chart that is super easy to look at. 

Guest Matt

Here is an example of what you would get, this is my methylation profile.  You can see i am ++ or homozygous for a few of them including (homozygous is the double mutation that can be the most troublesome, Hetero is +/- which can still be an issue, but not as much, and -/- is the normal version.)

MTRRA66G which means i have trouble methylating B12 and need to supplement with methylB12.  Another example would be i have a CBS up-regulation and a mthfrA1298C snp which means ammonia and high sulfur foods could be a problem for me.  This is just a small example of some of the info you can get.  

Matt SNP's .pdf

Edited by Matt

Miizle

I don't have the time to look at those websites now so i might add something later but just wanted to say that methylation is such an importat thing that i can not believe it's so ignored by mainstream "healthcare". My doctors had some DNA tests done for me (sent to a lab in the US) some 7 (?) years ago and it really changed my life, compensating my natural lack of stuff i take activated B6, zink and SAMe and it turned me into a normally functioning person for the first time since pre-adolesence. I'm an under-methylator with pyrolluria and my main symptoms were bi-polar, OCD and sensory over-sensitivities (lights, sounds etc).

AND this is the first time i've seen anyone talk about this stuff! Every time i have tried, everyone's just ignored me too, even in mental health forums, people who i personally know and who have asked for help etc.... It's been mind-boggling how no-one's wanted to know, no-one's wanted to heal. MAN AM I GLAD to see you guys discuss this!!!

Edited by Miizle
  • LIKE/LOVE 5

Guest Matt
20 minutes ago, Miizle said:

I don't have the time to look at those websites now so i might add something later but just wanted to say that methylation is such an importat thing that i can not believe it's so ignored by mainstream "healthcare". My doctors had some DNA tests done for me (sent to a lab in the US) some 5 years ago and it really changed my life, compensating my natural lack of stuff i take activated B6, zink and SAMe and it turned me into a normally functioning person for the first time since pre-adolesence. I'm an under-methylator with pyrolluria and my main symptoms were bi-polar, OCD and sensory over-sensitivities (lights, sounds etc).

AND this is the first time i've seen anyone talk about this stuff! Every time i have tried, everyone's just ignored me too, even in mental health forums, people who i personally know and who have asked for help etc.... It's been mind-boggling how no-one's wanted to know, no-one's wanted to heal. MAN AM I GLAD to see you guys discuss this!!!

my son also has pyroluria. To prove how important methylation is, when i found out i couldn't methylate my b12 due to the MTRRA66G snp i have,  i had a lab done to check out my homocystein levels, and they were very high, along with very high cholesterol.  I started methyl B12 and a supplement called TMG to lower my homocystein, and in 2 months, the levels were normal and my cholesterol dropped 100 points almost to normal levels.  Some people  believe issues with these snp's causing methylation and detox issues is the real culprit of some autoimmune issues, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia. 

Edited by Matt

Sarah

I've found this whole thing to be a giant can of worms. I asked Michael about methylation a while back (I think it was before I actually had the testing done), and I believe they said it was something valid to look into. However, you have to keep in mind that what's required for some SNPs might be contraindicated by others. That's the problem I've run into. I tried a whole bunch of supplements, and had to cut most of them back out when they caused more problems. It's just too complicated, and there aren't yet a lot of doctors who are knowledgeable enough to help you through it (beyond the MTHFR issue, which some are starting to recognize as a problem).

• LIKE/LOVE 2

Guest Matt

It is definitely a complicated issue with not many easy answers. I try to just stick with treating the homozygous snps and ive had pretty good luck doing that. Its a very new thing all this genetic stuff, so im sure as the years go on, it will get more clear.

Sarah

I wish whoever did all the genetic splicing to make us who we are would give us an instruction manual...

• LIKE/LOVE 3

H2nna

The most interesting thing in the report for me was to discover how many relatives I have in the US. My great grandfather was a sailor. He kept really reeeeally busy.?

Oh and I have some interesting liver disease gene, that's great to know. If anyone decides to ask Ms if roles or overleaves can be seen in the "junk" dna I promise to send you much agape.

@Stickyflames Never mention your Japanese friends your bloodtype, we're no good there.

• LIKE/LOVE 2